Happy Photography Day! This week's Six for Saturday collection of creative ideas is about crafting with your photos. Does anyone else remember the excitement of looking through a stack of prints fresh from the shop or holding new slides in front of a lamp for a preview...or the slight horror when your parents brought out the projector and a mystery childhood box of slides in front of friends? These days, it's easier than ever to take photos but our pictures seem to stagnate on our computers, in our phones, and on social media. Printing and framing (or canvas) is always great and there are awesome options for affordable photobooks, but here are some different ideas getting your photos out and about. Clockwise from upper left:
- Memory Candle Holders (Inspired Ideas) If you like the look but want to change materials, as a alternative DIY approach, Stephenie Lynn has a glass-transfer DIY using packing tape.
- Polaroid Style Coasters (Darkroom and Dearly)
- Photo Magnets (Modge Podge Rocks)
- Photo Pendant (Saving with Sarah)
- Photo Notebook (Photojojo)
- Photo Transfer Candle (A Beautiful Mess)
If you'd like some nifty ways to print and share your photos, you can check your local suppliers for photo gifts or explore some of the neat creative photo/image materials on the market, like printable fabrics and transfers. You can transfer straight onto plain pre-fab shirts, pillows, etc. but you can also also create your own customised fabric to sew into anything you wish. Very cool. You can even buy (or self-print) edible photos for cakes and cookies! Could be deliciously cute or maybe just a little bit creepy...hehe... In addition to just using what you have, you might also get inspired to plan and create a special project, like a family recipe book (my parents made us a "Family Favourites" binder several years ago). I also love the idea from Spoonflower of converting some of your old handwritten family recipes into images on tea towels or for kitchen art, and if you're lucky enough to have old family photos to go with them even better. If you can, take the opportunity to photograph loved ones cooking special family favourites and create a few new family photo treasures.
Clockwise from upper left:
- Family Recipe Box (Martha Stewart)
- Edible Photo Lollipops (Photojojo)
- Family Recipe Tea Towel (Spoonflower)
- Pet Pillows (Moomah via Creativity Unmasked) I think I need to try this in life-size! :)
- Family Photo Quilt (Polka Dot Chair) If you are a skilled quilter, also check out this (much more complex) family history bookshelf quilt on my Photophile Pinterest board. What an amazing family treasure!
- Instagram Sachets (Lil Blue Boo)
Looking for more creative ideas? You can try the past Six for Saturday (or Sunday) posts, searching the blog under the DIY type of your preference, or I also have a whole board full of of tutorials and DIY on Pinterest along with stack of other creative pins. If you decide to make something fabulous or post something special this weekend, you are welcome to share here in the comments or post something over at Creativity Unmasked on Facebook. We are all about sharing so, on our page, a little bit of creative self shout-out is actively encouraged.