Monday, July 17, 2017

DIY Upcycled Home Office Pegboard Storage Accessories (Part 2)


Last week's DIY corkboard and pegboard wall organiser post shared how my new home office boards were made (so easy!) and, as promised, here's the scoop on the easy and inexpensive add-on storage accessories fitted to my boards.


There are some great pre-fab pegboard storage products, but few are locally available so for now I'm going to use my boards as-is for a while and decide what needs to evolve over time. I also know we're moving again and who knows where the boards will be used, in which orientation, or for what purpose at the new house. Everything on my boards at the moment is versatile and either inexpensive or recycled/upcycled.  Cute and simple wooden clipboards on pegboard hooks give me an easy place to clip cards, photos, notebooks, and other materials that I'd prefer not to puncture while everyday papers have a home on the corkboard along with some printed photos of my furbabies. :) A photo frame was repurposed into a dry-erase board, rods attached for rolled items, upcycled cans and jars offer easy open storage, and a few pegboard hooks and hangars are kept free for ad hoc use. All of the accessories share the black/white/wood/metallic style theme of the boards and frames to keep things looking and feeling cohesive.


Tin can pencil/pen holders were created simply by dressing up some empty cans with scrapbook paper - I picked a black and white pattern to keep the styling coordinated with the boards.  Instead of using decoupage or glue, I attached the paper with double sided tape so that it's easy to remove for replacement (or recycling the paper/can).  A hole was pre-drilled through the cans for pegs, and the paper was simply punched through the hole with the tip of a pen after wrapping.


Mason jar supply holders were created for clear storage - I had been hording these jars FOREVER waiting for the right project.  I really wanted to translucent tint the glass with Mod Podge, but don't want to commit to colour right now so kept things clear. Maybe a future project! :) The shape of these particular jars isn't great for hose clamp attachment because the lip is inset plus clamps for big jars aren't cheap in our local hardware store, so my jars were hand-wired instead.  Working with wire is easy, but it's important to work safely with appropriate tools/safety precautions for sharp metal and also make sure that the strength suits whatever you're planning to hang.


A mini dry-erase board was created by putting black scrapbook paper into a photo frame. Done! This gives me a black back for writing on the glass. Black works best with chalk pens, but the same easy DIY can be done with white or other coloured paper for use with normal dry-erase markers. To make sure that my frame is easy to switch up or repurpose, the matt and original liner are sandwiched between the scrapbook paper and backboard in case I want them in the future.


Storage rods for washi tape ribbon, string and such were made using L shaped angle brackets and metal rods from the hardware store.  I used to use a similar storage method (this is the same metal rod, cut in half and repurposed) with wall-mounted angle brackets in my old craft room for wire and cord.  There was a method to my madness on having picked the notched brackets for my boards. In addition to being lightweight and inexpensive, the little notches are PERFECT for resting the bar on when slipping things on/off the rods.  To make sure that I don't accidentally pull both ends through, a small elastic is wound on the outer end of one side as a removable stopper.

And there you have it! Easy, inexpensive, cute, and functional home office storage with the flexibility to switch things up without wasting tons of time, money, or materials when I need to change it all on the next move.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to leave us a comment - we read each and every one. We appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts. We are all about sharing here at Creativity Unmasked so you are also welcome to give your own creative post/page a shout-out in your comment. :)